| Exercise And Eat Healthy But Still Overweight - What Can I Do?
=> i weigh 175 pounds. i have been trying for a while now to lose the weight that i need to but i just cant seem to. i eat healthy, i have stopped eating very much bread, i excercise everyday, and i just dont understand what i am doing wrong. could you please help me to figure out why i am like this?
=> I am over weight but I am in the athletics team basketball team netball team swimming team and I DON'T eat a lot I have an apple for breakfast for dinner a sandwich bandanna and a yoghurt and tea 2 portions of veggies and I'm still fat I have been excercising but it doesn't work what will I do ??? ;(
=> i feel like when im eatting healther. i aint losing ! im 14 and my family wants me lose weight i do to. i want to be proud when i lose weight and happy. but im not losing weight when im trying !
=> What i should do to lost some of pounds
=> I'm over weight but I eat healthy and I'm still fat
=> Well, I am a dancer, a swimmer, a biker, and a runner- and I have never lost weight from this!! Do you have any idea why? And what can help me lose weight before summer?
"I exercise and eating healthy but I still don't lose weight." If you are gaining weight, you are eating more than you burn off through exercise.
FACT: WHEN YOU EAT MORE CALORIES THAN YOU BURN OFF, YOU GAIN WEIGHT. IF YOU EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOU BURN OFF, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT. IT'S SIMPLE MATH!
Here are some things you can do:
1. WRITE DOWN WHAT AND HOW MUCH YOU EAT AND HOW MUCH YOU EXERCISE EVERYDAY! DON'T CHEAT! Think about WHEN and WHERE you eat. Write down EVERYTHING you eat, at meals as well as snacks. Keeping a Diary can help you be more honest.
2. LEARN ABOUT OVEREATING AND HEALTHY WEIGHT LOSS. Become more aware of how you use food in your life. Do you eat for comfort, when you are stressed, bored or sad? Do you eat when you aren't even hungry? Write down how you are feeling and what and how much you eat at those times. This will help you figure out your emotions and what distracting things you can do instead of eat when they occur. When you become more aware of how you use food in your life, you can become more successful at making a change.
3. DETERMINE YOUR COMMITMENT LEVEL TO LOSING WEIGHT. How willing are you to give up food for pleasure? What things can YOU do to replace eating for pleasure in your life? This requires a long term commitment to a healthy lifestyle. It gets easier the longer you practice your goals. So, keep following your goals step by step. Soon you will be living your new healthy you! Keep working at it. YOU CAN DO IT!
4. FOCUS ON THE POSITIVE Give yourself credit for making the effort everyday to put out more energy than you take in with food. If you mess up one day, brush yourself off and start again tomorrow. Every day counts!
| Big Boned - What Does That Mean
=> Is there a such thing as big boned?
When one refers to being "big boned," what one might actually be referring to is their body frame size. Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his/her height.
Here's how to calculate your Body Frame Size:
Measure your wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether you are small, medium, or large boned.
Height under 5'2"
Small = wrist size less than 5.5." Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75," Large = wrist size over 5.75"
Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6." Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25." Large = wrist size over 6.25"
Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size less than 6.25." Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5." Large = wrist size over 6.5"
Height over 5' 5"
Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5." Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5." Large = wrist size over 7.5"
(MedLine Plus National Institutes of Health reference)
Don't let a large frame size fool you into thinking that you are not overweight. Check the BMI weight calculator to see if you are a healthy weight.
| Waist Circumference Measurements As Indicator of Health
=> I`m 12 and overweight I recently read an article about kids and teens who are more prone to heart disorders and overweight things according to their waist circumfrence. Kids should have a waist size half of their height or less according to a few articles. I have the waist of 72cm and am 159/160 cm so that isn`t the problem here but I realized my brother might be prone to these diseases. He`s active but overweight... He`s 8 and has the same waist measurment as me. 72 cm... He`s 136/137 cm tall which worries me. I told my dad this, who also is obese but he said my brother is going to grow into a muscular body but I`m worried about my brother. Most doctors say I`m going to end up healthy weight or I don`t need to lose weight even if I`m always between 65-68 kgs.
To help determine if one is overweight or obese, several tools can be used.
To measure your waist circumference, use a tape measure. Start at the top of the hip bone, then bring it all the way around -- level with your navel. Make sure it's not too tight and that it is parallel with the floor. Don't hold your breath while measuring it! Waist circumference can be a good indicator of your health and risk for certain diseases. Teens whose waist circumference measures more than half their total height are more likely to show signs of high blood pressure and total cholesterol and lower levels of good (HDL) cholesterol than teens who are overweight or obese but have a smaller waist-to-height ratio.
BODY MASS INDEX (BMI) Percentile Calculator
The BMI weight calculator is another tool that shows how your weight compares to your height (BMI = weight / height2). BMI indicates how thin or how fat you are (unless you are very muscular, in which case BMI is not accurate). The higher the BMI the more fat you have compared to your height.
These are both tools that your health care provider uses in combination with other factors to help determine your health status. You might want to discuss your weight concerns with your health care provider who can exam you and provide you with the best information. You can also find lots of helpful information and tips on healthy weight ideas on this site in the tips area, the Healthy Weight School, and the How To Lose Weight area.
| Parents Won't Help Me Lose Weight - What Can I Do To Lose Weight
=> I want to be smaller I don't like it I like this
Kid and I want to look good for him and I want to feel Better about myself and I want to fit in old clothes I hate this I'm 11 years old and I am 180 my mom and my dad won't lisen I want to look prietty I want to be happier I have tried to go out and bike and walk but is doesnt work I eat to much I need help
You are not alone. Many kids have this same problem, their parents wonít listen or they donít want to hear that you want to lose weight.
HERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO:
1. CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range. Itís always good to arm yourself with FACTS! If the calculator shows that you are overweight, go to the next step.
2. Learn why parents sometimes avoid listening and are unsupportive when you raise the issue of being overweight. Sometimes, raising this issue causes them to reflect on their own eating behavior. They may want to avoid the topic because they donít wish to deal with their own weight issues. Here are some helpful tips and solutions you can try.
3. Write down all the reasons you want to lose weight and how your parents can support you. Then, talk to your parents again about your weight loss wishes. Pick a good time to talk to your parents when they arenít busy.
4. If they still are unsupportive, talk to another trusted adult or your doctor to discuss the best weight loss strategy for you. Sometimes your parents just need an adult in the medical profession to talk to them about your health situation before they become convinced that they should support your desire to attain a healthy weight level. You can show them the Parent's Area for more information.
5. Get support and help from friends and other kids on this site. The chatroom, pre-teen, and teen bulletin boards are great sources of help and information. You can interact with other kids and teens and read how they conquer their struggles with their weight. Don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
| Cravings - How To Handle Them
=> I have got the worst chocolate craving and whatever I try to help it doesent work, HELP!!!
=> How can I cut back on juice?
You can crave just about any type of food. Salty and sugary foods as well as drinks are common. You think about the food or drink, you eat or drink it, you want more and sometimes you can't stop until it's all gone. That's often called a craving.
Why is it so hard to stop? There can be many factors at play including boredom and the habit of overeating. Here's a little science: Our brain has an emotional and a thinking area. The EMOTIONAL brain can try to trick us to eat something that tastes really good to soothe our sadness, boredom, loneliness, stress, or depression. Our THINKING brain is more rationale and knows pretty much what food our body needs for energy and repairs. It knows you donít need the food you are craving at the moment. The Problem: The thinking brain and the emotional brain can sometimes be in a tug of war!
Good News! WE CAN LEARN TO CONTROL OUR EMOTIONAL BRAIN. It just takes practice to become aware of what is going on. Here's what you can do:
1. Practice talking to your brain and reasoning with your emotional brain when you have a craving for a certain food. Tell yourself, "No emotional brain! No! I am not going to let you trick me!!" I do not need that food because I am not hungry. GO AWAY!!"
2. Get in touch with your emotions and learn how to substitute other activities for eating. Make a list of things you like to do and refer to the list when you get a craving. Then, go do the fun activity INSTEAD of eating. Usually, if you can resist for a few minutes, the craving will go away. TRY IT, YOU CAN DO IT.
3. Here are other tips and ideas to help you conquer cravings:
- Saying Goodbye to the Food Drug
- Curve Your Cravings
- THINK BEFORE YOU EAT! Are you really hungry? If not, DON'T EAT. THINK DISTRACT as in distracting activities.
- Get the particular food or drink out of site and out of the house! Out of site, out of mind!
- Surround yourself with SUPPORTIVE PEOPLE.
When the urge strikes, strike back with these tips! YOU CAN DO IT!
| Bullied At School Because of Weight
=> I'm bullied at school because I'm fat. I'm only ten how can I lose weight
Bullying is wrong. It hurts and can make one feel sad, lonely, scared and even afraid to go to school. We all need to recognize bullying and do something about it. If you are being bullied, here are some things you can do right away:
1. Avoid them. Try to stay away from them. That strips them of the fun they get from bullying.
2. Donít react and donít show your feelings. If you encounter a bully, ignore him/her or act like you donít care. Donít get angry or show that you are upset. Hold your head up high, walk away and get to a safe place. Learn more on how to deal with bullies to build up your confidence. Check out the library or type in "bullying" in your search engine such as Google for more information on how to deal with bullies.
3. Donít do what they want you to do. Say ďNO!" If you stick up for yourself, bullies usually leave you alone.
4. Get a buddy. Plan ahead and walk with a friend whenever you think you might encounter the bully.
5. Tell an adult like a school teacher or parent. Let them know what is happening to you. Bullying is wrong and IF WE ALL SPEAK UP WHEN WE SEE IT, WE CAN STOP IT!
6. Work on building up your self esteem. You will feel more confident about yourself and it will show. That will have the bully looking elsewhere! Start believing in YOU! You are unique. Arm yourself with more information about building your Self Esteem and start thinking positive. Try some of the self confidence tips and you will start to feel better about who you are now. It will also help you to stand up to bullies.
Make a list of a few of the qualities that you admire in yourself. Your friends like you for your qualities, not because you are thin. You might be good at art or math, or a patient listener. You might be funny, caring, honest, nice to others. See!
Once you have the bully situation under control, take a look at the tips area, Healthy Weight School, and the How To Lose Weight area for lots of ideas. Then, make a plan and get started!
Be honest with friends and parents and ask them for help in losing weight. Youíll be amazed at how willing they are to support you if you just ask. If you are ready to lose weight, your friends would probably love to help you. Ask them to do fun things with you like go for bike rides or walks, play games or practice dance steps. Here are more ways you can ask your friends for help. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
| Am I Overweight
=> I'm 11 years old and 113lbs. Am I overweight? If so how do I lose weight easily
=> (Boy) I am 10 years old and im 105 kg and i want to be at least 70 pounds can you please help me, any advice and weight loss strategies I talked to my doctor he says i need to loose but i dont know how. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks
=> Hello, I am a swimmer. I have got pear shaped body so its very good and healthy. Am I obese or owerweight? There are my percentiles :
BMI Percentile : 75-90th ( 21.3 = 162 cm and 56 kg )
Waist Circumference Percentile : 10-25th ( 62,8 cm )
Body Fat Percentile : 10-25th ( %12,5 )
Waist To Height Percentile : 10-25th ( 0.39 )
So my mother says you are in IDEAL WEIGHT and my father says you are slim get 4-5 kilograms.
I have got flat stomach. Am I overweight ? Thank you.
=> iam 12 years old and i weigh 51kg and i am not sure if i am over weight.how can i loose weight?
=> I think I am over weight I am 94 pounds and some people in my class are 65. Am I over weight please tell the truth.
We are often asked the question, "Am I Overweight?" CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range. Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is a number that shows how your weight compares to your height (BMI = weight / height2). If your BMI is in the 85th to 94th percentile, you are considered overweight. If your BMI is in the 95th to 100th percentile, your are considered obese.
If your BMI is in the overweight or obese range and you want to lose weight, it would first be a good idea to see your health care provider to make sure you don't have any other health conditions that would interfere with a weight loss program. Take a look at the Healthy Weight School, How To Lose Weight and the weight loss tips area for lots of ideas. Then, make a plan and get started!
You can get lots of support from all the kids on the site in the chatroom and from other kids on the pre-teen and teen bulletin boards. And, don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
| Losing Weight In Secret
=> I am 14 and weigh 176 lbs. I want to lose 50 lbs fast and easy without it being noticeable to family and friends that I am trying. How can I do this in like 4 months??
=> How can I lose weight without it being obvious I'm trying to lose weight? I'm not exactly fat but I'm not skinny. I just want to be healthy on the lower side.
=> I want to lose weight without my mom knowing and I want to be skinny
It's difficult to answer your question without knowing your age, current weight or how much you want to lose. Generally, being a healthy weight should be our goal. It's unrealistic to want to be skinny and probably unhealthy as well.
Use the Weight Calculator to see if you are overweight. Losing Weight In Secret usually isn't a good idea. You might think that your Mom won't support you. However, most kids say that it is easier to lose weight when they have the support, encouragement, and help with motivation from parents, friends, or another trusted adult.
If the calculator shows that you are overweight, show those results to your parent. Try talking to your mom. You will probably be glad you did! If you feel more comfortable with someone else, ask another adult, your school nurse or doctor to discuss your weight with you and your parent and discuss the best weight loss strategy. Sometimes your parents just need an adult in the medical profession to talk to them about your health situation before they become convinced that they should support your desire to attain a healthy weight level. You can show them the Parent's Area for more information about weight issues.
Get support from other kids on the site too! The chatroom, pre-teen and teen bulletin boards are great sources of help and information. You can interact with other kids and teens and read how they conquer their struggles with their weight. You may also be able to find a weight loss buddy to help motivate or support you with your weight loss efforts. Don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
Let us know what you decide! Good luck!
| Am I Overweight - Healthy Weight Range and What It Means
=> I am 12 years old and I weigh 90 pounds. I am 4 ft 10. I think I am really fat and need help to lose weight but everyone says I am small. Am I overweight? Any tips to lose weight my goal is 80 pounds by summer is it reasonable?
=> am i overweight i weigh 160 am a female am am 5foot5
=> am 17yrs old...i weigh 90kg..and am also doing alot of exercises..does that means that am obese
=> I am 13 and am quite tall and weigh about 162lbs am i overweight
=> I am 12 and I weigh 131 pounds have any tips
To determine if you are a healthy weight range, overweight or obese use the weight calculator on our site. The calculator is designed for kids ages 2 through 20 and shows a healthy weight range based on your age, gender, weight and height. The healthy weight range is wide enough that it includes all body types.
Your BMI percentile shows how you compare to everybody else. For example, if you are 80th percentile that means you are heavier than 80 out of 100 kids your age and sex. Again, the age range for our calculator is 2 - 20 years, and for this age range, BMI percentiles can be interpreted as follows:
ē BMI 1st to 4th percentile: Underweight*
ē BMI 5th to 84th percentile: Healthy Weight*
ē BMI 85th to 94th percentile: Overweight*
ē BMI 94th to 100th percentile: Obese*
*Weight recommendations by the CDC (Center for Disease Control)
If after checking your weight calculations and you decide that you want to lose weight, visit the Healthy Weight School, How To Lose Weight and the weight loss tips area for lots of ideas. Get support from all the kids on the site in the chatroom and from other kids on the pre-teen and teen bulletin boards. And, don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
| How To Lose A Large Amount of Weight Safely
=> how can i lose weight fast? ive already lost 5lbs but i think i am gaining them back. i work out on the treadmill for 15min. i want to lose enough weight so i can go to justice and get new clothes. PLEASE HELP ME LOSE AT LEAST 100LBS!
First things first.
1. CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range. If you are overweight or obese, you will want to check in with your health care provider before beginning any weight loss program. They will help you determine how much and at what rate it is safe for you to lose. Usually, 1-2 pounds a week is a safe weight loss range depending on your age, current weight, and weight loss goals.
2. HAVE A SERIOUS TALK WITH YOURSELF. Take out a notebook and really think about the answers to these questions before you write them down:
- WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT? To get cute clothes or to have a healthy lifestyle?
- HOW DID I BECOME MY CURRENT WEIGHT?
- HOW COMMITTED AM I TO CHANGING MY CURRENT LIFESTYLE? This means that you will need to stop eating junk food and soda and start exercising every day.
- WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT DO I HAVE to help me with my weight loss goals? Will my parents buy healthy food and keep junk food out of the house and help me to do exercise or fun activities? Will my friends support and encourage me?
3. TAKE INVENTORY OF YOURSELF AND YOUR EATING HABITS.
- WHAT KIND AND HOW MUCH FOOD DO I EAT EVERYDAY? Keep a food diary for 3-4 days to see what you are eating. Be honest.
- HOW OFTEN AND WHEN DO I EAT? Do I eat when I'm hungry, or when I am sad, depressed, stressed or other reasons? Describe the situations when you tend to eat. Write down how you are feeling and what and how much you eat at those times. This will help you figure out your emotions and what distracting things you can do instead of eat when they occur.
- WHAT AND HOW MUCH EXERCISE OR FUN ACTIVITIES DO I DO EVERYDAY? Write down your usual daily routine for 3-4 days. What exercise or activity do you do?
- WHAT ACTIVITY OR EXERCISE WOULD I LIKE TRY? Write down all the things you'd like to try.
4. SET REALISTIC SHORT TERM GOALS. The desire to lose 100 pounds is a great undertaking. You will be more successful if you start with a short term goal, say 10 or 15 pounds. Then, once you reach that goal, set another short term goal. Success builds success! MAKE A LIST OF EACH GOAL. Then, MAKE A PLAN FOR EACH GOAL. For example:
GOAL: Lose 5 pounds.
PLAN: No sodas or candy. Walk 1/2 mile every day. Then,
PROGRESS: Did I follow my plan? If you did, keep doing the plan. Then, add to your plan. For example: No sodas or candy and cut my dinner portions by 1/2. Increase my walking to 1 mile. Keep repeating this for each goal. If you didn't follow your plan, don't beat yourself up. Just start each day new and try again.
5. HOW WILL I MAINTAIN MY WEIGHT LOSS? Think about how to keep your goals. Am I willing to give up food for pleasure? What things can I do to replace eating for pleasure in my life? This requires a long term commitment to a healthy lifestyle. It gets easier the longer you practice your goals. So, keep following your goals step by step. Soon you will be living your new healthy you! Keep working at it. YOU CAN DO IT!