| What's A Healthy Diet To Lose Weight
=> I'm 18 years old i want to lose my weight i'm 60 kg my tall is 160cm i need a healty diet to lose 5 kg or 6 kg per month
=> My daughter is 11 and weights 210 lbs she is 5"1 Is there something she can take to help with weight loss, she eats pretty healthy and exercise but not excessively need help
=> im 11 years old and i weight 110 i wanna lose 19 or 20 pounds please tell me hhow i can do these i tried to est less but nothing works Plus i dont even eat much but i dont like weighing 110 please help me
=> Im 13 years old, I am about 5.4 feet and I weight from 165 to 170 pounds. I really want to lose weight and drop the belly. I do eat healthy like salads, fruit, some vegetables(carrots, celery, spinach), water, granola bars(sometimes) I of course still still have some junk food and I am trying to now cut down on it. What is the best food(s) to eat on a regular basis to help lose weight. I am also doing Stationary bike and walking
=> im 15, 5'7 and i weigh 245 pounds and i want to know how many calories i need to eat to lose at least 3 pounds a week, if not more. keep in mind i dont eat alot but when i eat i shed weight fast so my body confuses me
We do not prescribe or suggest special diets on this site. Check your weight on the weight calculator. If you are in the overweight or obese category, Remember, it is always wise to visit your healthcare provider before starting a weight loss program.
Losing weight is an every day long term commitment. Basically, losing weight requires that YOU EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY BURNS UP. Simply put, you will need to eat less, be more active, or a combination of both. What is not so simple is resisting the high fat, high sugar foods, the large portion sizes, second helpings, and frequent "junk food" snacks and soft drinks that you eat and drink. This is what is causing you to be overweight.
Check out many of the following tips and information about how to help you lose weight in a healthy way:
How to Lose Weight
Weight Control Tips
Say Goodby to Your Problem Foods
Withdrawal from Food Addiction
Preventing Food Addiction Relapse
Say Good By to the Food Drug
REMEMBER, WATCH YOUR PLATE! And, GET MOVING!
| Motivation - How To Get It & How To Keep It
=> I am considered overweight. I am a fifteen year old girl who is teased and picked on constantly by my family and peers because of it. Sure, 133lbs at 5'2" isn't "that bad" as some folks have put it but I store all of that extra weight in my thighs and stomach area. I feel gross and I just want to be happy with my body for once. My parents bring home fastfood for dinner all the time and there are so many tempting snacks in the house I just give in! I'm ashamed because I know I can do better I just need help getting started...
=> i am overweight and i want to lose a lot of it i always go to stores and say thats cute for girls who are skinny and i want to get to my healthy spot
=> I'm not overweight Im sort of active, I do water polo twice a week and swimming three times a week, and basketball once a week. The thing is, when I'm not in these activities I'm either reading, playing video games, or just not moving and eating junk. I know how to fix what I'm doing, but I'm just not doing it. I feel like I need an extra push to get myself more muscle and in the 50th percentile or something with a fit body for all the sports I do. So can you give me that push?
=> I am going on 18 years old and quite overweight. Last year I dieted and lost about 15 pounds, now I just can't seem to be able to find the necessary movitation or help to lose weight. I really am hoping to lose it by high school graduation and am also very worried about heart conditions and or diabetes.
=> I can kind relate to ur story I am 5,2 and 11 years old and I'm around 120 pounds I have had a problem I guess since 3 rd grade I never felt confident about my body and i suck in eveytime I am it school they all say I'm skinny but it's not the real me I like to do sports and I think about joining softball I have a little problem of overeating when I'm bored sitting down watching tv but I'm gonna learn to get through it and start going to my trail at the park close to my house and start to lose weight and reach my goal . Thank you Lucy for inspiration in my weight loss journey that I'm about to begin
=> Help, I'm 16, 6 foot and 208lbs, how can I get back into shape?
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
"I want to lose weight but I just don't know how to get started."
"It's just so much easier to eat what and how much I want than put the effort into dieting or exercising."
"It's just too hard."
"I'll start tomorrow or next week."
We might procrastinate or simply not want to put the effort into trying. But, if we want to lose weight, WE NEED TO GET STARTED.
HOW CAN YOU GET THE MOTIVATION YOU NEED? Here’s a way to identify your feelings and develop a plan to get and keep motivated. Start by taking a good look at yourself and be honest about ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT. What are the things that motivate you to lose weight like “I want to feel healthy,” “I want to feel better about myself,” "I want to be able to walk 3 miles," “I want to wear fun clothes that fit,” whatever they might be.
2. WHY IS LOSING WEIGHT SO HARD FOR ME. For example: "It's too hard to give up candy," "I don’t like to exercise,” “I am too embarrassed,” “There is junk food all around me,” and so forth. Write down as many reasons as you can.
3. HERE IS MY LIST OF FUN ACTIVITIES I WANT TO TRY. Make a list of things that you enjoy like walking with friends, gardening, dancing, whatever they are.
After you have answered AND THOUGHT ABOUT the above questions and answers you are ready to DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. DO SOMETHING ON MY FUN ACTIVITIES LIST EVERY DAY! If you don't feel like doing something, look at your answers to question #1. Why I Want To Lose Weight. Your list should give you motivation.
2. KEEP TRACK IN A NOTEBOOK OR JOURNAL THE ACTIVITIES I HAVE TRIED. Mix it up, don't do the same thing every day. It is easier to be motivated when we do things that are FUN and DIFFERENT EVERY DAY!
3. KEEP A FOOD AND ACTIVITY DIARY. Write down everything you eat every day on one page. Review what you’ve eaten and see where you can cut down. Then, write down all the activities/exercise you do on that day on another page. Look at your activity list and get moving. Review your reasons "Why I Want To Lose Weight" if you need motivation.
4. PICK ONE FOOD GOAL AND ONE EXERCISE GOAL EACH WEEK. For example, "I will stop eating pizza." "I will walk for 30 minutes 3 times this week." Keep track in your notebook how you are doing. Sometimes writing your goals down and checking your progress at the end of EVERY DAY helps you stay on track and stay motivated.
5. WRITE DOWN THE THINGS THAT I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED, OR NEW MOTIVATIONS ALONG THE WAY. Writing these down such as “I lost one pound this week”, or “my clothes feel looser than before” are great MOTIVATORS to keep you going!
6. REWARD MYSELF AFTER EACH GOAL I ACHIEVE. CAUTION: Do NOT reward yourself with food. Instead, try things like buy a new exercise outfit or a DVD, go to a movie, or get a new hair style.
7. START ON MY NEXT GOAL. THE KEY IS TO DO IT STEP BY STEP. When I feel like I am losing my motivation I will take a look in my notebook and read about why I want to lose weight or I will find a motivation buddy to help encourage me and keep me accountable.
The Teen Bulletin Board area is a good place to find a buddy. Many kids post motivation tips on the Success Boards as well. Check out lots more information in the Q&A area of this site.
Remember, You can do it! Good luck!
| Self Esteem and Being Overweight
=> I am 12 yrs old, 5'1 and about 150 lbs. My two friends think they are fat, but they have flat stomachs and smaller thighs, they both weigh less that me, and they're taller than me. I have a very flabby stomach and thighs, and absolutely hate looking at my abominable body. I HATE MYSELF SO MUCH, I've cried many times, and I don't know how to lose weight and every time I try and do something healthy like exercise, I can't do it because I can't go anywhere by myself. I hate myself and I wanna lose 30 pounds. Please help me if you can.
=> I have tried 4 diets and seem to not be able to lose the 50 pounds off my 220 pound body:( when I'm with my friends at lunch and people are constantly eating unhealthy food I have my salad.. I don't understand why my friends are so skinny and I have to be fat.. Why me? I am 14 years old and feel like surgery is the only thing that can help me at this point! We are having money problems and my mom can't afford anymore diets, I have put me and my family through hell and yet seem to have gotten nowhere physically.. I am very active I play multiple sports but still am like this.. Plz help me understand and ease my pain! I am so happy in front of all my Friends and just sometimes with people could understand, because honestly nobody does. HELP..
=> I'm 4'13 and an 11 year old girl. I weight 109lbs. Sometimes I feel as though some of my best friends are gossiping about how fat I am behind my back. A lot of people at school are thinner then me. I don't want to go on a diet because I am too young and I exercise a lot ( Swim, Run, Bike) Is there any other ways for me too lose weight? Or do I really need too?
=> I'm 12 years old I weigh 133 and I'm 5.2. I feel fat so I alway were my jackets at all times at school. Help me
=> Lucy your story has inspired me but people still call me names like hippo i tell my mom but my friend Alejandro doesn't and keeps holding it in. How do i help him?
=> I am a 12 year old girl who is 145 pounds and every time I go shopping I feel so insecure and I always just wanna go home and then when my friends and me are at the mall trying clothes I don't even bother showing up so then I go home and eat more and more and more. Lucy could u please respond soo.
When we feel bad, uncomfortable or embarrassed about how we look or feel, we call that LOW SELF-ESTEEM. We might compare our self to others who weigh less or we might feel that others make fun of us because we aren't as thin or can't wear the same kind of clothes they do. It's common to feel this way. The good news is that we can learn to change these feelings and be more positive about who we really are.
Here are some things you can do to build up your confidence and self-esteem as well as increase your motivation to lose weight:
1. Work on building up your SELF ESTEEM (self confidence). Try some of the self confidence tips and you will start to feel better about who you are now. Start thinking positive and believe in YOU! You will feel more confident about yourself and it will show!
2. Make a list of some of the qualities that you admire in yourself. YOUR FRIENDS LIKE YOU FOR YOUR QUALITIES, NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE THIN. You might be good at art or math, or a patient listener. You might be funny, caring, or honest. You might be kind or volunteer helping others See! All qualities to celebrate, cheer and be happy about. And best of all, these qualities are all a part of YOU!
3. Develop and take part in hobbies or shared interests with others. By developing a hobby or two, you'll become more interesting. Join a club or hobby group, you will share similar interests with others in the group. You will become friends with others with shared interests. Wow! That sounds fun!
4. BE A FRIEND. There is an old saying, "Be a Friend, Have a Friend!" Reach out to others. Compliment others, suggest they join you for a walk or activity. You will be amazed how well that works.
5. Be honest with friends and parents and ask them for help in losing weight. You’ll be amazed at how willing they are to support you if you just ask. Ask them to do fun things with you like go for bike rides or walks, play games or practice dance steps. Here are more ways you can ask your friends for help. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
6. Re-Fuel Your Motivation! Here's help to find MOTIVATION. Get started on making your own MOTIVATION CHART. Make a list of what you will need to do to reach each goal. Plan to do something on your list EVERY DAY!!!!
7. Get Lots of SUPPORT! Get support from all the kids on the site in the chatroom and from other kids on the pre-teen and teen bulletin boards.
8. Take a look at the tips area, Healthy Weight School, and How Do I Lose Weight for lots of ideas. Then, make a plan and get started!
Don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
SMILE! HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH! THINK POSITIVE! YOU LOOK MORE CONFIDENT ALREADY!
| How To Resist Junk Food
=> I've tried to stay away from junk food ( cookies, cake , etc) but every time I try to stay away from it I remember how good it tastes and I end up eating it. How do I stop?
=> i'm afraid 2 eat what i wanna eat because how my dad died and i'm 165 pounds i'm only 12 years old ,and how do i loose weight
=> I'm fat. I eat honey all the time I cant control myself. sometimes I sleep till noon and I don't do my chores. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!! my facorite food is a quadruple mac. my gym teacher calls me a fat potatoe. hope you can help
=> I am 14 and have been 'battling the weight' for about 4 years now. I had started losing the wight but I feel I have lost my motivation and have started craving sugary foods and crisps again!! What do you recommend I do?
=> I am very fat and i cant live without junk food and i cant do sviming whst shsll i do
=> I am almost 12 now and I weigh 145lbs. Weight has been a hard thing for me sence I was 9 and people always make fun of me I always workout and I'm confindent in myself it's just I eat to much and that too much is all junk food I sneak food from the cabinets and I always regreg it after. I just say one day I'm gonna exercise then the next day I'm in my bed watching TV and eating M&Ms plus popcorn. I would like to loose 40-45 lbs in 4 months cause I have my 6th grade pool party and I want to be in shape for junior high. If u have any thing to help me please respond I will try anything
HOOKED ON JUNK! TROUBLE RESISTING CRAVINGS! It's a common problem. Cravings are food urges that you can't resist. High calorie, fatty, and junk foods like donuts, chips, pop, cookies, ice cream and pizza are often the most problem to resist. You can't stop thinking about the food until you cave and eat the food. Sometimes, you might even eat the food until it's all gone. WHY DO I CAVE?
Some people turn to these foods to comfort themselves or to avoid feeling emotions such as boredom, anxiety, sadness, or to relieve stress. They find it difficult to stop eating the junk food much like a drug addict finds giving up drugs difficult. You can feel "addicted" to the food. Get in touch with your emotions and learn to recognize what triggers a craving so you can avoid caving to the junk food.
What are Triggers?
Triggers are events or cues that happen immediately before you eat a problem food, a snack, or large amounts at a meal. Triggers cause the emotional brain to want to use food for coping.
Here are food trigger examples:
1) Whenever you have money in your pocket, you end up going to the store on the corner to buy candy,
2) When you pass by the donut store on the way home from school, you can never resist getting a donut,
3) Whenever your brother puts his soda pop in the fridge, you always drink it.
Money in your pocket, the donut store, and your brother's soda pop in the fridge are your problem food triggers.
A Plan to Avoid the Triggers: To avoid those triggers do not keep extra money in your pocket, take a new route home from school, and ask your brother to keep his soda pop in the garage. It is much easier to avoid your triggers, if the problem food is not in front of you.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Write Down Your Triggers
Write Down Your Plan to Avoid Each Trigger
HOW TO STOP ONE OR TWO JUNK FOODS AT A TIME
• Pick one or two junk foods you will try to quit and a start date
• Write out what your TRIGGERS are for those foods (boredom, stress, loneliness)
• Write out your PLAN to avoid each trigger
• Know what junk food withdrawal feels like for you (feeling antsy, headaches, crawling skin, etc)
• Do not diet hard core
• Drink lots of water
• Squeeze your hands together when you get a craving, it will pass
• Believe in yourself
You can also learn to:
Say Goodbye to Problem Foods
Curve Your Cravings
HERE ARE MORE TIPS:
1. LEARN TO SUBSTITUTE OTHER ACTIVITIES FOR EATING. Make a list of distracting activities. When you have the craving urge, substitute an activity on your list instead of eat. Usually, if you can resist eating for a few minutes with a distracting activity, the craving will go away. TRY IT! YOU CAN DO IT!
2. BE MINDFUL of WHAT, WHERE, AND HOW MUCH YOU ARE EATING. Start a food diary to keep track of your eating habits. Check for areas that may be food triggers for you and make healthy substitutes. For example, try choosing a healthier after school snack or tell others that you are trying to watch what you are eating. Ask them not to offer you tempting foods. It also helps to weigh yourself everyday. That way, if your weight starts to creep up, you can take measures to reduce your food intake right away.
3. GET JUNK FOOD OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! Out of site! Out of mind!
| Weight Gain - Eat Healthy and Exercise But Still Gain Weight, Why?
=> I'm 14years,I weigh 170lbs. I'm active,but I'm not losing any weight. I participate in school-sport activities and walk more than a 1km 3 times a week and I don't see any changes of weight lose
=> I am 13 years old and i weigh 170 pounds and im 5"4" im in vollyball at school and i play outside after school with my cousins but i just keep gaining should i just not eat breakfast and lunch ??
=> I'm 12 years old and almost 13. I weigh 129 lbs. And I am 5'6. Almost every girl in my school is 110 or less. They all talk about how big they look. But the only that looks big is me. I need help on how to lose weight. I tried or am trying everything. Eating less and exercising but it seems like I am just gaining. Please help!
=> I'm 14 and I weigh 60 kg I don't even eat any junk or sodas or too much heavy food I also eat veggies don't even eat sweets but still obese what should I do I can't offord diet?
=> i am 11 years old and i am gaining weight i am actully over weight i have been doing aerobics and controlling my diet but my fatness wont go what should i do
=> I'm 13 and I weigh 220 pounds I know I'm over weight but I've been on a constant diet and excessive plan for a month already and I've only gained weight I cut out every fat food and my doctor is an xxx so I get no help!!!
=> So I'm a 12 year old girl and weigh 110 and I don't understand how because I look skinny and I'm athletic I bike, ski, and have track after school everyday I can tend to eat a lot but I still eat very healthy also the weird part is, is that just about a week or two ago I weighed about 105 and maybe about a few months ago I weigh 100... So yeah, am I over weight?
HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT SAFELY?
1. FIRST, CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range.
2. SECOND, answer this very important question.
"HOW WILLING AM I TO SAY GOODBYE TO A LIFE OF EATING EVERYTHING I WANT? BE TRUTHFUL.
You can't lose weight if you continue to eat everything you want like sodas, candy, sweets and fatty foods or continue to eat large portions, second helpings or "junk food." If you aren't MOTIVATED or COMMITTED to change your current lifestyle (eating and activity habits) you probably will not be successful at losing weight. IT'S A FACT!
3. THIRD TAKE INVENTORY OF YOURSELF and answer these questions:
- WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT
- HOW DID I BECAME OVERWEIGHT
- WHAT IS MY COMMITMENT AND MOTIVATION LEVEL TO LOSING WEIGHT. DON'T SKIP THIS PART!
4. FOURTH REVIEW HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT for an organized easy to follow step by step approach.
5. FIFTH, THINK OF THIS AS YOUR JOB. You don't know how successful you can be without trying, so GET STARTED. YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING TO LOSE!
| Fast Weight Loss - Tips For Safe Weight Loss
=> I am 12 and want to lose weight in 2 weeks.Prom is in 12 weeks and I would like to lose weight.My friends are making fun of me and asking where would I get a dress PLEASE HELP ME!!!
=> i'm 13 years old, my height is 163 cm or 164 , and my weight is 58 kg and i really want to lose weight up to 10 kg in 2 weeks , i know it is possible but kinda dangerous, i just wanted to ask what should i do so that i can lose fat this much in this duration , i don't eat a lot , i just eat 1 or 2 meals a day i don't eat dinner , and sometimes i skip breakfast, i don't exercise a lot , i have no problem with exercises but i only need motivation and orders(steps\ exercises) to follow , what should i do please help me!!
=> i am 17, exactly 5ft and 190 pounds. How long will it take me to lose 60 pounds? i graduate on june 3rd, 2017 and want to reach my goal by then. Please help. thank you.
=> I am over weight in the stomach I have 2 months till summer and I live beside a beach I wanna swim all day but I don't wanna go out in public since I live in Canada I covers it up whitch coats this winter but now what I need something fast
=> I'm 13 years old, I'm between 5'2 to 5'3 and I weigh 143.3 pounds, I just wanted to see what I could do to loose weight FAST I tried diet before and I just couldn't do it, I was always starving and that caused me to not think straight in school, plz help me loose weight asap!!
=> I am 12 and way 200 pounds and want to now how to lose a bunch of Waite in 3 months. And how do I do that?
=> Im 13years old im about 5'9 maybe 5'8 im about 220lbs maybe i try to lose weight but i seem to not ever get there i wanna try some easy but fast weight loss ideas but i have no clue.. I get talked about because of my weight.... I dont go outside anymore at all because of my body.. Please help
FACT: Fast weight loss doesn’t work and doesn’t last! Quick diets, and food fads are bad ideas. They don’t work either. So, BE SMART, LOSE WEIGHT SAFELY! Sure, we'd all like to lose weight fast but weight loss that occurs gradually (1-2 pounds a week) is more likely to stay off. Safe Weight Loss takes time and effort, so be patient.
Generally, successful weight loss requires healthy portion controlled eating and increased activity or exercise. We need to take in less (food) and put out more energy (exercise) in order to lose weight.
Try a STEP BY STEP APPROACH instead. Better choices, better results. And, check out
How to Lose Weight and other Weight Control Tips for more ideas.
Instead of focusing on "I want to lose 30 pounds by "X"," try making WEEKLY WEIGHT LOSS GOALS. Learn to set achievable goals. For example, if your goal is to lose 30 pounds, make your first goal to lose 5 pounds. Then when you lose the first 5 pounds make your next goal to lose another 5 pounds. STEP BY STEP, that is the way to do it! When you accomplish the smaller goal first, you will feel more successful and it will make working toward the end goal weight easier. If you mess up one day, try anew tomorrow. Remember, weight loss is a daily journey!
Here are a few more tips:
1. Keep a food and activity diary. This helps you focus and tracks your progress. Try cutting back on food amounts and increase your activity every day. Review your progress daily. Once you reach that goal, try a new goal. You’ll be more likely to stick with it and it won’t be so overwhelming.
2. Check your weight on a scale every couple days. That way, if you are gaining, you can cut down food amounts a bit more and increase your activity. Lose weight the healthy way! You'll be glad you did!
Remember that losing weight involves making better choices, including healthy eating and exercise, so think about a plan you will be able to stick to. All the small changes you make everyday will add up over weeks and months to a healthier body and a healthier you.
| Spot Weight Reduction - It Doesn't Work
=> I am 17 years old and my weight is 61 kg if I doing peg abs exercise can it effect my body growth
=> im a 15 year old boy from india, im over weight my problem is that my lower body which includes my hip my thigh all are so fatty and especially my hips are so horrible and so fat which look like an girl hip i wanna lose some fat from those areas i need some urgent help. i think the problem is i sit a day long and eat chocolates and some rich fat food i really wanna burn my hip fat pls im emergency
=> I have been battling excess belly fat since i was a kid the fat just stays there and refuses to go away. I'm actually rather thin in othe areas of my body. Kind of seems all of my fat is gathering at my abdominal area. Please help. I'm sick of taking shallow breaths in public.
=> I'm 13 and and I don't believe I'm overweight (btw I'm 47.6 kg) but I do have some curves and belly fat. I'm inactive since there isn't much to do around where I live so I'm unsure of what to do. What should I do to reduce the belly fat?
=> I'm 16, English, ginger, 6 foot 1, weigh 212lbs and have a 36 inch waist - my doctor said I was 'obese'. I've always been sporty and was quite fit until high school where I piled on 20kg / 45lbs due to after school snacking etc. I'm quite good-looking but now all the food went straight to my tummy and I've now got a soft potbelly which wobbles and shows through my uniform which caused my girlfriend to dump me. I'm now too embarrassed to go to the gym as all the gym goers would see my belly. Any tips on losing my gut?
Trying to lose weight or fat in one area of your body (spot reduction) doesn’t work. But, any exercise or weight loss will help your problem areas. Toning, or strengthening the muscles in a certain location (your stomach, thighs) can also help give your body a better overall appearance. The key to toning is REPETITION. Repetition of movement (exercise) tones and strengthens.
Successful weight loss is usually done through a combination of increasing physical activity and decreasing your caloric intake. The best exercises for your thighs, butt, hips, and stomach are those that get your heart pumping faster. These are called cardio exercise and help your body burn fat for energy.
Doing activities like swimming, dancing, walking, jumping rope, playing sports, even cleaning, can help your body get healthier. Try to get 30 to 60 minutes of "cardio" most days of the week and you should begin to notice changes.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
1. Watch your plate. Check your food portions to make sure you aren't overeating. Take a look at Weight Control Tips to learn more about how to control your hunger.
2. Get moving. The simple act of walking more can make a big difference in your weight and overall appearance as well as reduce your stomach size! Try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
Here are some activity ideas to try:
- Cardio Exercise.
- Physical Fitness.
- Increased Physical Activity.
- Exercise For The Cold.
- Exercise When Your Busy.
3. Exercise EVERYDAY. It will make a difference! You'll also feel more energetic and feel more positive about your appearance in general.
| Puberty, Hormones, Excess Weight and Man Boobs (Gynecomastia)
=> I am 11 years old and weigh about 120pounds and I am 155cm high I was wondering how I can get rid of man boobs and extra belly cause when I was at a friends and we were going out for dinner my jeans were to tight and my belly hang over its really upsetting even when you have man boobs to go with it please
=> is it true that as you get taller you will get skinnier. i am 12 years old and pretty tall for my age (165 cm), but also my BMI says i'm overweight (29.7). but my mum says this is a growing stage and you will get skinnier. is it true?
=> I am 5' 4" and I am about 180 pounds. I know I am overweight, but I don't look overweight whatsoever. I look like I could weigh 140 or 150 at the most. Why do I weigh so much when I don't look that big?
=> I am 14 years old 130 lbs all muscle. Will I stay at 5'4" or will I grow?
=> im 15, 5' 8", and 185lb. have gained about 20 pounds since the end of soccer in November. I have stayed very active, running or working out almost every day, and eating even healthier than before. However, I am gaining a lot of fat, and it is pretty visible too. Is this just a part of my growth, or is there a problem? also, how can i try to loose this fat? - Thanks
=> I am 12 years old and I was wondering how I could get rid of man breast.
WHAT IS PUBERTY
Puberty is defined as the period of time when boys and girls undergo the process of sexual maturation. When your body is ready, your pituitary gland (located at the base of your brain) releases certain hormones which affect various parts of your body. The increased level of hormones causes your body to start developing more both physically and emotionally.
WHEN DOES PUBERTY START
Puberty usually occurs in girls between 8 and 13 and in boys between 9-15. Many factors such as nutrition and obesity affect the onset. DON'T WORRY, EVERYONE GOES THROUGH PUBERTY! And, EVERYONE CHANGES AT HIS OR HER OWN PACE.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING PUBERTY
Many physical and emotional changes occur such as the development of secondary sex characteristics like developing breasts and starting menstruation (your periods) in girls, as well as achieving fertility, growth of pubic hair, and rapid growth spurts in both girls and boys. The development of menstruation (having your period) happens a little later.
- RAPID GROWTH SPURTS
Rapid growth can make you feel awkward. During this time you can grow a lot taller (several inches to your adult height). Even your feet grow in size, making you feel a little clumsy. Don't worry, the rest of your body will catch up! Losing weight during puberty will not make you grow taller or make your feet shrink. But, you may grow taller because you are experiencing puberty (the time when your body grows and develops.)
- EMOTIONAL CHANGES
Hormones can affect your emotions. You might find that you get upset easily and feel anxious about all the body changes that are occurring. You might even have sexual feelings that you've never had before. It's important to talk to your parents about your feelings. If you don't feel comfortable talking to parents, talk to your school nurse, your doctor, a teacher or counselor or someone else you trust.
- It's important to get the right information.
- Everyone develops at a different pace. Don't worry if you start puberty early or late, or if the girls are taller than the boys for awhile. Everyone usually catches up!
PUBERTY IN OVERWEIGHT KIDS
Studies suggest that obesity plays a role in girls starting puberty earlier and that girls who are underweight undergo puberty later. Overweight girls therefore often tend to get their periods earlier than normal or underweight girls.
So far, there isn't much evidence that obesity is a factor in early puberty for boys. Sometimes overweight boys develop enlarged breasts (gynecomastia) or man boobs during puberty. Although having man boobs can be embarrassing, most cases resolved within a couple years of onset without treatment. Growing taller as occurs during puberty and weight loss will help. If you feel self-conscious about how you look or questions about what is happening to your body, it's a good idea to talk to a trusted adult or your doctor.
| Puberty and Weight Gain
=> I'm eleven years old, am around four foot six or seven, and weigh eighty-five to ninety pounds. I feel overweight because it appears my BMI has gone up from 18.5 at the end of fourth grade to 20.5 or 21 now, and I weigh about 10lbs more than most kids my age. My dad says it's because I'm muscular and somewhat short, but I'm not so sure. My waist is around 24-26 inches. Is some weight and fat gain a normal part of puberty or do I have a problem?
=> I am 14 years old and I'm 170 lbs and I'm tall and I have trouble losing weight even if I exercise and diet I still struggling with losing weightis there something wrong with me TELL ME HELP ME
=> My son is 12yrs he is 5'10 and 165 lbs. I'm worried about how much to serve him. I know he still growing
=> I am 11 years old and I am gaining 2 pounds a day I way 100 pounds So how can I loose weight
Body changes begin to occur, including height and weight spurts during puberty. During this time, we may gain weight more rapidly as muscle, fat and bone changes occur.
We use something called a BMI calculator to estimate how much body fat a person has based on his or her weight and height (BMI = weight / height2). You can check your weight on the BMI weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range. If your BMI is in the 85th to 94th percentile, you are considered overweight. If your BMI is in the 95th to 100th percentile, your are considered obese. Other factors to consider include body frame type and musculature. Your health care provider reviews these and other developmental factors to determine if you are overweight.
Our level of physical activity and eating habits contribute to maintaining weight so make sure you are keeping food portions in control, reducing high calorie and fatty foods and getting exercise. Remember calories we consume must equal calories expended (exercise) in order to maintain weight. We must either eat less calories or put out more energy (exercise) in order to lose weight. You might want to keep track of what you are eating, how much, and how much exercise you are doing for a few days to get an accurate picture. Check out portion control and HOW DO i LOSE WEIGHT: A STEP BY STEP APPROACH for lots of tips and ideas on eating better, exercising more and changing your lifestyle.
| High Cholesterol - What It Is
=> Yesterday I went to the doctor and they said I have high cholesterol but the didn't tell me anything else just to exercise and eat healthy. The doctor talked to my mom but my mom didn't tell me anything. What is high cholesterol and how can I fix it???
Cholesterol is a type of fat in our blood called a lipid. Our body needs cholesterol to function but too much cholesterol can lead to hardening of the arteries, heart disease and stroke. There are two kinds of cholesterol. LDL is called "bad" cholesterol. It can build up in the walls of our arteries making them hard and narrow. HDL is called "good" cholesterol and removes excess cholesterol from the blood vessels and returns it back to our liver. We need a blood test to check cholesterol levels as we don't usually have symptoms or feel sick.
Things that increase cholesterol levels include:
- Eating too much saturated fat like red meats and full fat dairy products
- Being overweight
- Lack of exercise- exercise helps the good HDL cholesterol work better
- Smoking - damages the blood vessels and lowers HDL or good cholestrol
What we can do to lower our bad (LDL) cholesterol level include:
- Eat foods like fruits, vegetable, whole grains, fish and low-fat dairy foods and less red meat and high fat foods
- Lose weight if we are overweight
- Don't smoke
- Sometimes we may need to take a medication to help lower cholesterol levels if the above don't lower it
If you are overweight, check out HOW DO i LOSE WEIGHT: A STEP BY STEP APPROACH for lots of tips and ideas on eating better, exercising more and changing your lifestyle.