| 3 Steps to Losing Weight
=> I'm FAT that's all i have to say to myself in the mirror and that I'm ugly. I'm thirteen and weigh about 165. I have stretch marks and a fat double chin. I wear my mothers clothes, I wanna weigh around 110 pounds in around a month or two. If that's even possible? Help.
=> Im 13 years old and 300 lbs. Im not just overweight I'm obese. Its really hard being this size. Is there a easier way to lose weight for someone my size?
=> i am 15 years old and weigh about 190 lbs i am 5'11'' and i need to lose about 40 lbs any suggestions? please help
=> I'm 17 years old female girl.so I'm fat.I want to be slim.now my weight is 132pounds,so how I'll be slim as a teenager and height5'2.
=> im 15, 5' 8", and 185lb. have gained about 20 pounds since the end of soccer in November. I have stayed very active, running or working out almost every day, and eating even healthier than before. However, I am gaining a lot of fat, and it is pretty visible too. Is this just a part of my growth, or is there a problem? also, how can i try to loose this fat? - Thanks
=> How can I lose wait easily with only exercising?
=> I am 15 and I weigh 160 pounds. I'm also 5"5 am I to big? and how do I speed up my metabolism?
=> I'm 13 years old and my height is 5'3 whilst my weight is 127 I want to get in track and field for high school any tips on how to get into running and I would like to get muscular
Losing weight requires that YOU EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY BURNS UP. In other words, you will need to eat less, be more active, or a combination of both. It's that simple. What is not so simple is resisting the high fat, high sugar foods, the large portion sizes, second helpings, and frequent "junk food" snacks and soft drinks that you are used to.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
We've put together an organized 3 WAY APPROACH TO WEIGHT LOSS to help you be successful with your weight loss. It is designed to be a step by step manual for you to follow. These are all things that YOU CAN DO AND THAT YOU CAN CONTROL. Here are the steps:
STEP ONE - Eliminate Problem Foods
STEP TWO - Eliminate Snacking
STEP THREE - Reduce Food Amounts at Meals
THREE TOP TIPS TO HELP YOU:
1. KEEP A FOOD DIARY. Write down EVERYTHING and HOW MUCH that you eat and drink each day for all snacks and meals. We frequently eat a lot more than we realize and keeping a food diary can help us see that. Review your food diary EVERY DAY. You will begin to see where you need to cut down. Even cutting down small amounts can help. For example, cutting out one 16 ounce soda a day will result in about 25 pounds of weight loss a year!
2. KEEP AN ACTIVITY DIARY. Write down all the activities and how long you do them EVERY DAY. Try to increase the kinds of healthy activity you do EVERY DAY! For example, walk up the stairs instead of taking elevators, walk to school, walk up hills instead of walking on flat areas, or ride a bike. Sometimes eating about the same but increasing ones activity level breaks the cycle and can get you on your way to losing weight.
3. START DOING DISTRACTING FUN ACTIVITIES EVERY DAY. Distracting fun activities can get your mind off of food and help burn calories. Make it fun and mix it up!
| How Do I Lose Weight
=> I am 12 and I weigh over 170 pounds and I want to lose weight by time school starts
=> I'm 14 and I weigh 150 pounds and I'm around 5'3 or 5'5
What do I do to lose weight
=> I'm 18 years old i want to lose my weight i'm 60 kg my tall is 160cm i need a healty diet to lose 5 kg or 6 kg per month
=> I am 14 years old my weight is very gain what can I do for healthy weight loss and stay fit
=> I'm 12years old and 5'3 I always been judged about my weight since 4th grade now I'm 12 and I'm 188. can U just help be to lose weight please
=> I am 13, 170 pounds and need help loosing it how do I do that in the least amount of time possible? All of my friends are skinny and don't have to deal with it... I would like to be that way also to feel beautiful and confident again.
=> I'm 15, 5foot11 and 201lbs. I've always been slightly overweight my life But the last time I went to the doctors he told me I'd crept above 200lbs for the first time- which he said also qualified me as obese. Any tips?
=> I'm 16, 5 foot 6 and 178lbs. I recently put on 40lbs of that weight in the last 2 years. How can I stop this weight gain??
=> I am only 12 and weigh 151 lbs. which is considered obese. What should i do?
=> im 11 years old I need help too lose weight so far I weigh 42kg or 92lbs with a height of 139cm or 4'7feet when I sit down I have 1 big belly roll at the bottom of my belly and 2 medium belly rolls at the top of my belly PLEASE HELP ME
So you want to lose weight? That's great! But, before you start, it's a good idea to ask yourself a few questions to determine your readiness. Let's get started.
Write out your answer to each of these questions:
1. WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT? Do I want to lose weight because I am tired of feeling fat, because I want to wear cool clothes or feel better about myself? Getting in touch with why you want to lose weight helps you to stay focused during your weight loss journey.
2. HOW DID I BECOME MY CURRENT WEIGHT? Think back on when you started to gain weight. Was it gradual over time, more sudden due to some type of stress or depression? You might be able to identify various factors like, "I started eating larger amounts when I was stressed," "I ate even though I wasn't hungry just because I liked the taste of certain foods," "I was bored and food comforted me." Whatever the reason, it helps to identify your food eating patterns.
3. HOW COMMITTED AND MOTIVATED AM I TO CHANGE MY CURRENT LIFESTYLE?
- Am I READY TO CHANGE MY OLD HABITS?
- Am I WILLING TO STOP EATING LARGE AMOUNTS OF ALL FOODS?
- Am I WILLING TO STOP EATING JUNK FOOD AND DRINKING SODA? If you aren't willing to change old habits, your weight loss efforts won't be very successful. You must be willing to try to change your habits.
4. HOW WILLING AM I DO DO SOME KIND OF FUN ACTIVITY EVERYDAY? Fun activities aren't necessarily exercise. Rather, DISTRACTIONS help you to avoid eating when you aren't really even hungry.
5. WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT DO I HAVE?
- Will my parents buy healthy food and keep junk food out of the house?
- Will my parents and friends help support and encourage me to avoid eating when I eat when I'm not even hungry?
Once you've answered these questions, check out
How Do I Lose Weight - A Step By Step Approach to help you evaluate your eating and exercise habits and help you keep a food and exercise diary. Then you can set some short term goals that are realistic and attainable. There are lots of ideas for fun activities to do and ideas on how to increase your motivation in the TIPS AREA of this site. Check it out!
YOU CAN DO IT, YOU CAN BUST THOSE OLD HABITS!
| What Is a Healthy Weight For Me
=> I am 13 years old and I weigh 158.4. I'm 5'2. Am I overweight? I don't look like I'm that much. I go to dance. I've danced for 5 1/2 years. Ballet tap jazz and lyrical. But I'm not muscular. I have a little but of stomach and my thighs are a kinda big not huge but kinda big. Should I be worried about my weight?
=> I am 11 years old and 100lbs I have been called fat constantly I eat healthy and exersise also all my friends are tiny
=> i am 14 year old and i have a height of 5'6 and weigh 128lbs am i too overweight? i feel very fat and my classmates tease me and call me fat
=> My high is 5'3 and my weight is 70. Is that okay for my body to gain that weight?
=> I'm 14 and 63kg, however I'm rather short around 151, Im physically fit however when I look at other girls and see the difference between them and me I worry that I'm fatter than them or its just genetics? Should i lose weight or wait and see if I just grow taller
=> If im 5'2 and weigh 170 and im 13 is that over weight and how can I lose weight properly
"Am I Overweight?" CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator on this site to see if you are in the healthy weight range. Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is a number that shows how your weight compares to your height (BMI = weight / height2). If your BMI is in the 85th to 94th percentile, you are considered overweight. If your BMI is in the 95th to 100th percentile, your are considered obese.
If your BMI is in the overweight or obese range and you want to lose weight, it's a good idea to check with your health care provider to make sure you don't have any other health conditions that would interfere with a weight loss program. It is usually safe to lose 1-2 pounds a week. Take a look at the Healthy Weight School, How To Lose Weight and the weight loss tips area for lots of ideas and ways to help you lose weight. Everyone is unique, and everyone "wears their weight" differently, so don't compare yourself to others.
You can get lots of support from all the kids on the site in the chatroom and from other kids on the pre-teen and teen bulletin boards. And, don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
| Weight Loss and Your Physical Appearance
=> Im 13 and 260 lbs. Ive been overweight my whole entire life. I really want to lose weight but I'm scared of many things that I'm not sure of. Maybe could you answer them?
First. I want to lose weight. Of course. but i don't want saggy skin. will i get saggy skin even being at this young age?
Second. I have stretch marks, will they fade within time or no?
last. uhh.. this is embarrassing but.. my breasts seem to sag. as i lose weight will they.. firm up.. or sag more?
i really hope you can answer these questions. Thank you.
=> I am 12 and a half and I have lost 29 pounds I used to be 169 pounds but now I am 140 pounds so I have a question when will I lose my buffalo back BTW I am 5'3 and still growing oh and also what is the healthy weight for me??
Congratulations on wanting to lose weight, that's the first step. Too rapid of weight gain or loss can contribute to saggy skin and stretch marks. But, there are things you can do to minimize both.
Saggy Skin. Skin takes time to resume its former level of tautness after fast weight loss. Losing weight at a healthy rate can minimize developing saggy skin. Younger people have more elastic skin, which has an easier time of "springing" back.
Stretch marks can occur with rapid growth or weight gain when the body expands faster than the skin can grow. They appear most often on the stomach, under arms, sides of the body, thighs, buttocks and hips. Stretch marks may not completely disappear but they do tend to fade over time. Losing weight will also help. The amount of time skin has been "stretched" by weight gain may influence it's ability to retract after weight loss. Nutrition can also play a role in how your skin responds.
A hump behind the shoulders sometimes referred to as "Buffalo Back" can form for several reasons. Some common reasons are: extreme obesity, a side effect of a prescription medicine, osteoporosis, long-term steroid use and Cushing's syndrome (a rare condition where the body has too much cortisol hormone). You should see your healthcare provider to diagnose the cause of the hump behind your shoulder. They can perform tests to determine the cause. If your hump is the result of obesity, a diet and exercise plan may help you lose weight and the hump.
Here are a few things you might try to help your skin return to it's previous condition:
1. Continue to exercise. Adding some weight training to your routine will help tone the muscles beneath the skin, which may make the skin appear more firm.
2. Drink lots of water. Water is an essential part of maintaining skin elasticity.
3. Eat enough protein. The ingredients that help keep skin elastic are collagen and elastin. Foods such as cottage cheese, milk, beans, seeds, nuts, and fish all contain collagen and elastin forming components, as well as oils that are needed help maintain healthy skin.
4. Take Care of Your Skin. Daily exfoliation can help to remove dead skin cells and increase skin circulation, thus improving skin tone. Stay away from harsh chemicals and too much sun exposure. They can decrease your skin's elasticity.
5. Above all, be patient. Waiting 1-2 years after reaching a healthy weight is often encouraged before considering more drastic measures such as surgery. Surgery has health risks of it's own and can also lead to scarring.
Fast weight gain can be a sign of emotional eating or a food addiction. Check out the tips on Say Goodbye to Problem Foods and "How Do I Lose Weight?" to help get your eating under control. Keep working towards your weight loss goals, you can do it!
| Food Addiction & Cravings - Why Do I Overeat?
=> Within the last three years or so I've put on around 100 pounds. I used to be a healthy weight but now I'm almost 200 lbs! It terrifies me to think that one day I could be 200 pounds and eventually 300 and so on. My belly is the biggest part of my body, my thighs are massive and my arms are flabby and saggy. I have stretch marks, due to my rapid weight gain, everywhere! I hate my body, I feel gross and ugly. Honestly it's my fault I'm this big. I have a food addiction, I can't stop eating. Just the other day at a family event, there was a lot of food. So of course I ate and I ate and I ate until I felt like I couldn't move. I just don't know what to do anymore, I keep getting fatter!
=> I'm 12 years old, and although I may not look it. I'm 141 pounds and 5'2. I've recently figured out, I'm supposed to be 4'11 and 93 pounds. I was always underweight when I was younger I don't know what happened. Help, I'm panicking?!
=> I hate being fat. I'm jiggly, round, big, and I can't stop gaining weight. I've gained 20lbs since August!!!
=> I am 11 years old ( almost 12) and currently weigh 158 lbs and I need to know what am I doing that might be causing my problem of being highly over weight, it would be so fantastic if you gave me ideas, tips, ect. Thank you so much!!!!
Some of you may have heard of such a thing as food addiction. Others of you may know about alcoholism (addiction to alcohol) and chain smokers (addiction to tobacco), but you may have never heard or thought of a food addiction. Just like alcohol and tobacco, people can get hooked on the pleasure of eating food (addiction to food). Not just any food, but typically highly pleasurable junk foods that are high in fat, sugar, and/or salt. Cookies, pizza, cake, chocolate, pop, chips, fries, and ice cream are typical culprits.
WHY DO I EAT WHEN I'M NOT EVEN HUNGRY? Eating food, and most often eating junk food, helps us TEMPORARILY feel better by crowding out negative emotions or feelings we might be experiencing (like boredom, sadness, stress). We eat every time we experience a negative emotion to soothe our feelings until eventually it becomes a habit that we can't stop (food addiction). Unfortunately, weight gain is an unwanted result of food addiction. Tackling food addiction requires that we recognize this addiction in ourselves. We can then look at ways to cope without food and find alternatives to dealing with our emotions.
If you crave certain foods and you find that you can't resist them, you might really have a type of food addiction. The more you eat the food, the more you want it, and once you start, you can’t stop. What’s going on?
OUR BRAIN has an emotional part and a thinking part. Our EMOTIONAL BRAIN can be tricking us, telling us to eat something that tastes really good to soothe our sadness, boredom, loneliness, stress, or depression. That's why you get cravings. But, our THINKING BRAIN is more rationale and knows pretty much what food our body needs for energy and repairs. It knows you don’t need the food you are craving at the moment. The thinking brain and the emotional brain can sometimes be in a TUG OF WAR!
Good News! The thinking part of the brain is BIGGER than the emotional part of the brain so WE CAN LEARN TO CONTROL THE EMOTIONAL BRAIN. It just takes practice to become aware of what is going on.
PRACTICE TALKING TO YOUR BRAIN and reasoning with your emotional brain when you have a craving for a certain food. Tell yourself, "No emotional brain! No! I am not going to let you trick me!!" I do not need that food because I am not hungry. GO AWAY!!"
GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR EMOTIONS AND LEARN HOW TO SUBSTITUTE OTHER ACTIVITIES FOR EATING. Make a list of things you like to do and refer to the list when you get a craving. Then, go do the DISTRACTING FUN ACTIVITY instead of eating. Usually, if you can resist for a few minutes, the craving will go away. TRY IT, YOU CAN DO IT.
Check out Saying Goodbye to the Food Drug, Curve Your Cravings, and Preventing Food Addiction Relapse for more information and tips.
| What's A Healthy Diet To Lose Weight
=> I'm 18 years old i want to lose my weight i'm 60 kg my tall is 160cm i need a healty diet to lose 5 kg or 6 kg per month
=> My daughter is 11 and weights 210 lbs she is 5"1 Is there something she can take to help with weight loss, she eats pretty healthy and exercise but not excessively need help
=> im 11 years old and i weight 110 i wanna lose 19 or 20 pounds please tell me hhow i can do these i tried to est less but nothing works Plus i dont even eat much but i dont like weighing 110 please help me
=> Im 13 years old, I am about 5.4 feet and I weight from 165 to 170 pounds. I really want to lose weight and drop the belly. I do eat healthy like salads, fruit, some vegetables(carrots, celery, spinach), water, granola bars(sometimes) I of course still still have some junk food and I am trying to now cut down on it. What is the best food(s) to eat on a regular basis to help lose weight. I am also doing Stationary bike and walking
=> im 15, 5'7 and i weigh 245 pounds and i want to know how many calories i need to eat to lose at least 3 pounds a week, if not more. keep in mind i dont eat alot but when i eat i shed weight fast so my body confuses me
We do not prescribe or suggest special diets on this site. Check your weight on the weight calculator. If you are in the overweight or obese category, Remember, it is always wise to visit your healthcare provider before starting a weight loss program.
Losing weight is an every day long term commitment. Basically, losing weight requires that YOU EAT LESS CALORIES THAN YOUR BODY BURNS UP. Simply put, you will need to eat less, be more active, or a combination of both. What is not so simple is resisting the high fat, high sugar foods, the large portion sizes, second helpings, and frequent "junk food" snacks and soft drinks that you eat and drink. This is what is causing you to be overweight.
Check out many of the following tips and information about how to help you lose weight in a healthy way:
How to Lose Weight
Weight Control Tips
Say Goodby to Your Problem Foods
Withdrawal from Food Addiction
Preventing Food Addiction Relapse
Say Good By to the Food Drug
REMEMBER, WATCH YOUR PLATE! And, GET MOVING!
| Motivation - How To Get It & How To Keep It
=> I am considered overweight. I am a fifteen year old girl who is teased and picked on constantly by my family and peers because of it. Sure, 133lbs at 5'2" isn't "that bad" as some folks have put it but I store all of that extra weight in my thighs and stomach area. I feel gross and I just want to be happy with my body for once. My parents bring home fastfood for dinner all the time and there are so many tempting snacks in the house I just give in! I'm ashamed because I know I can do better I just need help getting started...
=> i am overweight and i want to lose a lot of it i always go to stores and say thats cute for girls who are skinny and i want to get to my healthy spot
=> I'm not overweight Im sort of active, I do water polo twice a week and swimming three times a week, and basketball once a week. The thing is, when I'm not in these activities I'm either reading, playing video games, or just not moving and eating junk. I know how to fix what I'm doing, but I'm just not doing it. I feel like I need an extra push to get myself more muscle and in the 50th percentile or something with a fit body for all the sports I do. So can you give me that push?
=> I am going on 18 years old and quite overweight. Last year I dieted and lost about 15 pounds, now I just can't seem to be able to find the necessary movitation or help to lose weight. I really am hoping to lose it by high school graduation and am also very worried about heart conditions and or diabetes.
=> I can kind relate to ur story I am 5,2 and 11 years old and I'm around 120 pounds I have had a problem I guess since 3 rd grade I never felt confident about my body and i suck in eveytime I am it school they all say I'm skinny but it's not the real me I like to do sports and I think about joining softball I have a little problem of overeating when I'm bored sitting down watching tv but I'm gonna learn to get through it and start going to my trail at the park close to my house and start to lose weight and reach my goal . Thank you Lucy for inspiration in my weight loss journey that I'm about to begin
=> Help, I'm 16, 6 foot and 208lbs, how can I get back into shape?
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
"I want to lose weight but I just don't know how to get started."
"It's just so much easier to eat what and how much I want than put the effort into dieting or exercising."
"It's just too hard."
"I'll start tomorrow or next week."
We might procrastinate or simply not want to put the effort into trying. But, if we want to lose weight, WE NEED TO GET STARTED.
HOW CAN YOU GET THE MOTIVATION YOU NEED? Here’s a way to identify your feelings and develop a plan to get and keep motivated. Start by taking a good look at yourself and be honest about ANSWERING THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:
1. WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT. What are the things that motivate you to lose weight like “I want to feel healthy,” “I want to feel better about myself,” "I want to be able to walk 3 miles," “I want to wear fun clothes that fit,” whatever they might be.
2. WHY IS LOSING WEIGHT SO HARD FOR ME. For example: "It's too hard to give up candy," "I don’t like to exercise,” “I am too embarrassed,” “There is junk food all around me,” and so forth. Write down as many reasons as you can.
3. HERE IS MY LIST OF FUN ACTIVITIES I WANT TO TRY. Make a list of things that you enjoy like walking with friends, gardening, dancing, whatever they are.
After you have answered AND THOUGHT ABOUT the above questions and answers you are ready to DO THE FOLLOWING:
1. DO SOMETHING ON MY FUN ACTIVITIES LIST EVERY DAY! If you don't feel like doing something, look at your answers to question #1. Why I Want To Lose Weight. Your list should give you motivation.
2. KEEP TRACK IN A NOTEBOOK OR JOURNAL THE ACTIVITIES I HAVE TRIED. Mix it up, don't do the same thing every day. It is easier to be motivated when we do things that are FUN and DIFFERENT EVERY DAY!
3. KEEP A FOOD AND ACTIVITY DIARY. Write down everything you eat every day on one page. Review what you’ve eaten and see where you can cut down. Then, write down all the activities/exercise you do on that day on another page. Look at your activity list and get moving. Review your reasons "Why I Want To Lose Weight" if you need motivation.
4. PICK ONE FOOD GOAL AND ONE EXERCISE GOAL EACH WEEK. For example, "I will stop eating pizza." "I will walk for 30 minutes 3 times this week." Keep track in your notebook how you are doing. Sometimes writing your goals down and checking your progress at the end of EVERY DAY helps you stay on track and stay motivated.
5. WRITE DOWN THE THINGS THAT I HAVE ACCOMPLISHED, OR NEW MOTIVATIONS ALONG THE WAY. Writing these down such as “I lost one pound this week”, or “my clothes feel looser than before” are great MOTIVATORS to keep you going!
6. REWARD MYSELF AFTER EACH GOAL I ACHIEVE. CAUTION: Do NOT reward yourself with food. Instead, try things like buy a new exercise outfit or a DVD, go to a movie, or get a new hair style.
7. START ON MY NEXT GOAL. THE KEY IS TO DO IT STEP BY STEP. When I feel like I am losing my motivation I will take a look in my notebook and read about why I want to lose weight or I will find a motivation buddy to help encourage me and keep me accountable.
The Teen Bulletin Board area is a good place to find a buddy. Many kids post motivation tips on the Success Boards as well. Check out lots more information in the Q&A area of this site.
Remember, You can do it! Good luck!
| Self Esteem and Being Overweight
=> I am 12 yrs old, 5'1 and about 150 lbs. My two friends think they are fat, but they have flat stomachs and smaller thighs, they both weigh less that me, and they're taller than me. I have a very flabby stomach and thighs, and absolutely hate looking at my abominable body. I HATE MYSELF SO MUCH, I've cried many times, and I don't know how to lose weight and every time I try and do something healthy like exercise, I can't do it because I can't go anywhere by myself. I hate myself and I wanna lose 30 pounds. Please help me if you can.
=> I have tried 4 diets and seem to not be able to lose the 50 pounds off my 220 pound body:( when I'm with my friends at lunch and people are constantly eating unhealthy food I have my salad.. I don't understand why my friends are so skinny and I have to be fat.. Why me? I am 14 years old and feel like surgery is the only thing that can help me at this point! We are having money problems and my mom can't afford anymore diets, I have put me and my family through hell and yet seem to have gotten nowhere physically.. I am very active I play multiple sports but still am like this.. Plz help me understand and ease my pain! I am so happy in front of all my Friends and just sometimes with people could understand, because honestly nobody does. HELP..
=> I'm 4'13 and an 11 year old girl. I weight 109lbs. Sometimes I feel as though some of my best friends are gossiping about how fat I am behind my back. A lot of people at school are thinner then me. I don't want to go on a diet because I am too young and I exercise a lot ( Swim, Run, Bike) Is there any other ways for me too lose weight? Or do I really need too?
=> I'm 12 years old I weigh 133 and I'm 5.2. I feel fat so I alway were my jackets at all times at school. Help me
=> Lucy your story has inspired me but people still call me names like hippo i tell my mom but my friend Alejandro doesn't and keeps holding it in. How do i help him?
=> I am a 12 year old girl who is 145 pounds and every time I go shopping I feel so insecure and I always just wanna go home and then when my friends and me are at the mall trying clothes I don't even bother showing up so then I go home and eat more and more and more. Lucy could u please respond soo.
When we feel bad, uncomfortable or embarrassed about how we look or feel, we call that LOW SELF-ESTEEM. We might compare our self to others who weigh less or we might feel that others make fun of us because we aren't as thin or can't wear the same kind of clothes they do. It's common to feel this way. The good news is that we can learn to change these feelings and be more positive about who we really are.
Here are some things you can do to build up your confidence and self-esteem as well as increase your motivation to lose weight:
1. Work on building up your SELF ESTEEM (self confidence). Try some of the self confidence tips and you will start to feel better about who you are now. Start thinking positive and believe in YOU! You will feel more confident about yourself and it will show!
2. Make a list of some of the qualities that you admire in yourself. YOUR FRIENDS LIKE YOU FOR YOUR QUALITIES, NOT BECAUSE YOU ARE THIN. You might be good at art or math, or a patient listener. You might be funny, caring, or honest. You might be kind or volunteer helping others See! All qualities to celebrate, cheer and be happy about. And best of all, these qualities are all a part of YOU!
3. Develop and take part in hobbies or shared interests with others. By developing a hobby or two, you'll become more interesting. Join a club or hobby group, you will share similar interests with others in the group. You will become friends with others with shared interests. Wow! That sounds fun!
4. BE A FRIEND. There is an old saying, "Be a Friend, Have a Friend!" Reach out to others. Compliment others, suggest they join you for a walk or activity. You will be amazed how well that works.
5. Be honest with friends and parents and ask them for help in losing weight. You’ll be amazed at how willing they are to support you if you just ask. Ask them to do fun things with you like go for bike rides or walks, play games or practice dance steps. Here are more ways you can ask your friends for help. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
6. Re-Fuel Your Motivation! Here's help to find MOTIVATION. Get started on making your own MOTIVATION CHART. Make a list of what you will need to do to reach each goal. Plan to do something on your list EVERY DAY!!!!
7. Get Lots of SUPPORT! Get support from all the kids on the site in the chatroom and from other kids on the pre-teen and teen bulletin boards.
8. Take a look at the tips area, Healthy Weight School, and How Do I Lose Weight for lots of ideas. Then, make a plan and get started!
Don't forget, every Wednesday "Lucy" is in the chat room to answer questions too!
SMILE! HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH! THINK POSITIVE! YOU LOOK MORE CONFIDENT ALREADY!
| How To Resist Junk Food
=> I've tried to stay away from junk food ( cookies, cake , etc) but every time I try to stay away from it I remember how good it tastes and I end up eating it. How do I stop?
=> i'm afraid 2 eat what i wanna eat because how my dad died and i'm 165 pounds i'm only 12 years old ,and how do i loose weight
=> I'm fat. I eat honey all the time I cant control myself. sometimes I sleep till noon and I don't do my chores. PLEASE HELP ME IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!! my facorite food is a quadruple mac. my gym teacher calls me a fat potatoe. hope you can help
=> I am 14 and have been 'battling the weight' for about 4 years now. I had started losing the wight but I feel I have lost my motivation and have started craving sugary foods and crisps again!! What do you recommend I do?
=> I am very fat and i cant live without junk food and i cant do sviming whst shsll i do
=> I am almost 12 now and I weigh 145lbs. Weight has been a hard thing for me sence I was 9 and people always make fun of me I always workout and I'm confindent in myself it's just I eat to much and that too much is all junk food I sneak food from the cabinets and I always regreg it after. I just say one day I'm gonna exercise then the next day I'm in my bed watching TV and eating M&Ms plus popcorn. I would like to loose 40-45 lbs in 4 months cause I have my 6th grade pool party and I want to be in shape for junior high. If u have any thing to help me please respond I will try anything
HOOKED ON JUNK! TROUBLE RESISTING CRAVINGS! It's a common problem. Cravings are food urges that you can't resist. High calorie, fatty, and junk foods like donuts, chips, pop, cookies, ice cream and pizza are often the most problem to resist. You can't stop thinking about the food until you cave and eat the food. Sometimes, you might even eat the food until it's all gone. WHY DO I CAVE?
Some people turn to these foods to comfort themselves or to avoid feeling emotions such as boredom, anxiety, sadness, or to relieve stress. They find it difficult to stop eating the junk food much like a drug addict finds giving up drugs difficult. You can feel "addicted" to the food. Get in touch with your emotions and learn to recognize what triggers a craving so you can avoid caving to the junk food.
What are Triggers?
Triggers are events or cues that happen immediately before you eat a problem food, a snack, or large amounts at a meal. Triggers cause the emotional brain to want to use food for coping.
Here are food trigger examples:
1) Whenever you have money in your pocket, you end up going to the store on the corner to buy candy,
2) When you pass by the donut store on the way home from school, you can never resist getting a donut,
3) Whenever your brother puts his soda pop in the fridge, you always drink it.
Money in your pocket, the donut store, and your brother's soda pop in the fridge are your problem food triggers.
A Plan to Avoid the Triggers: To avoid those triggers do not keep extra money in your pocket, take a new route home from school, and ask your brother to keep his soda pop in the garage. It is much easier to avoid your triggers, if the problem food is not in front of you.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
Write Down Your Triggers
Write Down Your Plan to Avoid Each Trigger
HOW TO STOP ONE OR TWO JUNK FOODS AT A TIME
• Pick one or two junk foods you will try to quit and a start date
• Write out what your TRIGGERS are for those foods (boredom, stress, loneliness)
• Write out your PLAN to avoid each trigger
• Know what junk food withdrawal feels like for you (feeling antsy, headaches, crawling skin, etc)
• Do not diet hard core
• Drink lots of water
• Squeeze your hands together when you get a craving, it will pass
• Believe in yourself
You can also learn to:
Say Goodbye to Problem Foods
Curve Your Cravings
HERE ARE MORE TIPS:
1. LEARN TO SUBSTITUTE OTHER ACTIVITIES FOR EATING. Make a list of distracting activities. When you have the craving urge, substitute an activity on your list instead of eat. Usually, if you can resist eating for a few minutes with a distracting activity, the craving will go away. TRY IT! YOU CAN DO IT!
2. BE MINDFUL of WHAT, WHERE, AND HOW MUCH YOU ARE EATING. Start a food diary to keep track of your eating habits. Check for areas that may be food triggers for you and make healthy substitutes. For example, try choosing a healthier after school snack or tell others that you are trying to watch what you are eating. Ask them not to offer you tempting foods. It also helps to weigh yourself everyday. That way, if your weight starts to creep up, you can take measures to reduce your food intake right away.
3. GET JUNK FOOD OUT OF YOUR HOUSE! Out of site! Out of mind!
| Weight Gain - Eat Healthy and Exercise But Still Gain Weight, Why?
=> I'm 14years,I weigh 170lbs. I'm active,but I'm not losing any weight. I participate in school-sport activities and walk more than a 1km 3 times a week and I don't see any changes of weight lose
=> I am 13 years old and i weigh 170 pounds and im 5"4" im in vollyball at school and i play outside after school with my cousins but i just keep gaining should i just not eat breakfast and lunch ??
=> I'm 12 years old and almost 13. I weigh 129 lbs. And I am 5'6. Almost every girl in my school is 110 or less. They all talk about how big they look. But the only that looks big is me. I need help on how to lose weight. I tried or am trying everything. Eating less and exercising but it seems like I am just gaining. Please help!
=> I'm 14 and I weigh 60 kg I don't even eat any junk or sodas or too much heavy food I also eat veggies don't even eat sweets but still obese what should I do I can't offord diet?
=> i am 11 years old and i am gaining weight i am actully over weight i have been doing aerobics and controlling my diet but my fatness wont go what should i do
=> I'm 13 and I weigh 220 pounds I know I'm over weight but I've been on a constant diet and excessive plan for a month already and I've only gained weight I cut out every fat food and my doctor is an xxx so I get no help!!!
=> So I'm a 12 year old girl and weigh 110 and I don't understand how because I look skinny and I'm athletic I bike, ski, and have track after school everyday I can tend to eat a lot but I still eat very healthy also the weird part is, is that just about a week or two ago I weighed about 105 and maybe about a few months ago I weigh 100... So yeah, am I over weight?
HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT SAFELY?
1. FIRST, CHECK YOUR WEIGHT on the weight calculator to see if you are in the healthy weight range.
2. SECOND, answer this very important question.
"HOW WILLING AM I TO SAY GOODBYE TO A LIFE OF EATING EVERYTHING I WANT? BE TRUTHFUL.
You can't lose weight if you continue to eat everything you want like sodas, candy, sweets and fatty foods or continue to eat large portions, second helpings or "junk food." If you aren't MOTIVATED or COMMITTED to change your current lifestyle (eating and activity habits) you probably will not be successful at losing weight. IT'S A FACT!
3. THIRD TAKE INVENTORY OF YOURSELF and answer these questions:
- WHY DO I WANT TO LOSE WEIGHT
- HOW DID I BECAME OVERWEIGHT
- WHAT IS MY COMMITMENT AND MOTIVATION LEVEL TO LOSING WEIGHT. DON'T SKIP THIS PART!
4. FOURTH REVIEW HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT for an organized easy to follow step by step approach.
5. FIFTH, THINK OF THIS AS YOUR JOB. You don't know how successful you can be without trying, so GET STARTED. YOU'VE GOT EVERYTHING TO LOSE!