Plus Size or Outsize Clothing Tips
(Ideas for Boys and Girls!)
kids and teens tend to dress in baggy clothing in an attempt
to hide their extra weight. Unfortunately, very loose clothing tends
to make one look not only sloppy, but even heavier. Others may try
to dress in the same clothing styles and sizes as when they were at
a lower weight. This too, can be unappealing, if skin is bulging out
or the fabric looks like a second skin.
Here are a few tips and resources for finding the best clothing
styles and sizes to compliment your body, which in turn, should help
boost your self-esteem.
Boys and Girls
Look for clothing sizes that are neither too loose nor too clingy.
They should lightly touch the curves of your body. Husky sizes
often refer to large boy's clothing, while plus sizes are used to
describe the women's version. The UK may refer to extra large
clothing as outsize clothing.
* Stand up straight! Using good posture may help you look up to 10
15 pounds lighter. It also makes you look and feel more confident.
* If you wear stripes, chose vertical stripes to elongate your body.
Avoid horizontal stripes as they will have the opposite effect.
(Unless you have a relatively small top or bottom that you want to
accentuate in order to draw attention away from larger parts of your
* Black has a slimming effect, but don't overdo it or you will look
like you are always going to a funeral. Also experiment with other
dark, solid colors in outfits.
* Avoid belts as these draw attention to the belly area.
* V-necks help create the illusion of a slimmer neckline and draw
attention away from double chins. Turtle necks have the opposite
effect so avoid those if possible.
* Wear pants with straight legs or ones that flare at the bottom
hem. This draws the eye away from the mid-section.
* Cinched or wrapped jackets
- These help create the image of a waist if you
don't have one.
* Look for styles labeled empire waist, which means the fabric
is gathered under the breasts and has a flowing, loose-fitting
waist area. These styles draw attention away from midsections.
* Don't be embarrassed to look in the maternity section if you
have trouble finding outfits that aren't too snug in the stomach
* If you wear skirts, make sure they are longer than they are
* Looks for bell sleeves, which flare at the wrist and help draw
attention away from heavier areas of the body. Flare-leg pants
have a similar effect.
Shoes with at least 1/2 inch heel will help create the illusion of a
taller body. Just be sure to pick comfortable and safe styles!
- long, slender earring designs help detract from round
cheeks. Avoid circular or extra large earrings because they may
emphasize the heavy impression.
Necklaces - Y shaped necklaces that are long and dangly help
Clothing stores that carry teen plus sizes
(Note: These are not endorsements nor an all inclusive list, but
most have been referred to by other kids and parents on this
JC Penny (boys and girls)
Daniel Jacob at huskyfashions.com (for boys!)
Please also visit our new
Clothing and Fashion Board to see what
your peers have to say about dressing in plus, husky or outsize
this a healthy
for past week's tips)